Photos: San Antonio TV anchors get hairier for a cause
Some San Antonio anchors have been sporting facial hair, which is traditionally a no-no in the local TV news business.
However, television bosses are applauding, not chastizing them.
It’s all part of “Movember,” run by the Movember Foundation, and “No-Shave November,” an initiative supported by lots of health organizations including the American Cancer Society.
RELATED: San Antonio TV news anchors come clean: No makeup!
The campaigns promote the growing of moustaches and beards during the month of November to raise awareness of men’s health issues such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s suicide. Participants also raise funds for research and education. The motto that accompanies it: “Change the face of men’s health.”
“Jeff Brady, Phil Anaya and Jared Silverman are all participating,” Don Smith Jr., KENS director of marketing, wrote in an email. “Jeff is doing Facebook Live on men’s health issues, as well as some in-newscast mentions. Phil is raising money,” he added.
- Now PlayingSeal: ‘I don’t shake hands, I don’t text’AP
- Washington breaks new ground in ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq.’AP
- You will only get to meet Santa by appointment at Macy’sFoxM9NJ
- Stars of Netflix series, ‘Godless’Fox5DC
- Kelly Clarkson’s tearful return to musicAP
- Dancing With The Stars To Do All-Athlete Edition In SpringEWTime
- She Bangs! Mom-to-Be Chrissy Teigen Shows Off Her New Fringe After Asking Twitter to Weigh InPeopleTime
- Introducing Dwayne Johnson’s daughter, SimoneAP
- Feds Reveal HBO’s Alleged ‘Game of Thrones’ Hacker in Wanted PosterEWTime
- Collins applauds Spirit Award nomineesAP
Smith also sent a couple of quotes from the guys.
RELATED: From TV to bodybuilding: Sarah Lucero over the years
“I’ve always been aware of No-Shave November and Movember, but because of the nature of the television industry, it’s difficult to pull off,” weekend anchor Anaya said. “I’m so excited this year to be able to participate, and will also be donating and raising money for the No-Shave November (no-shave.org) cause.”
KENS meteorologist Silverman also is doing his best for the cause.
“Too many times men think that they don’t need the doctor unless there’s something seriously wrong. Almost like it’s less manly to go to the doctor in the first place. I’m going to make a donation to the Movember USA website (us.movember.com).”
As for Brady, Anna Sifuentes emailed to say she thinks KENS’ chief anchorman looks “more commanding and handsome” with his salt-and-pepper enhancement. Brady even asked Facebook followers recently on his KENS 5 page if they think he should keep the beard even after November.
The majority of responders gave him a thumbs-up, with Si Browning actually comparing him to Sean Connery. “Jeff: They’ll be asking you to play James Bond next,” she added.